Golden Visa and Legalization
Investing in Portugal
When investing in Portugal, in addition to the general advantages of security, education and easy access to other countries of the European Union, you can still enjoy some rights.
All nationals of third countries who carry out an investment activity in person or through a company incorporated in Portugal or in another European Union State and with a permanent establishment in Portugal, may apply for a known Residence Permit for Investment Activity (ARI) such as Gold Visa or Golden Visa.
In return for the investment made in Portugal, the ARI beneficiary can:
- Enter Portugal without a residence visa;
- Reside and work in Portugal, being able to maintain another residence in another country, and, at least, must remain in Portugal for a period not less than 7 days in the first year and not less than 14 days in the following years;
- Circulate through the Schengen area, without a visa;
- Benefit from family reunification;
- Access permanent residence (after 5 years and under the terms of the legislation in force);
- Access portuguese nationality (after 5 years and under the terms of the legislation in force).
Types of investments, depending on applicable legislation:
- The transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than 1 million euros;
- The creation of at least 10 jobs;
- The acquisition of real estate with a value equal to or greater than 500 thousand euros;
- Acquisition of real estate, whose construction has been completed at least 30 years ago or located in an urban rehabilitation area and carrying out rehabilitation works of the real estate acquired, in the total amount equal to or greater than 350 thousand euros;
- Capital transfer into the amount equal to or greater than 350 thousand euros, which is applied in research activities carried out by public or private scientific research institutions, integrated in the national scientific and technological system;
- Capital transfer in the amount equal to or greater than 250 thousand euros, which is invested in investment or support for artistic production, recovery or maintenance of the national cultural heritage, through central and peripheral direct administration services, public institutes, entities that integrate the sector business public, public foundations, private foundations with public utility status, inter-municipal entities, entities that integrate the local business sector, municipal associative entities and public cultural associations, which carry out tasks in the area of artistic production, recovery or maintenance of the national cultural heritage;
- Capital transfers in an amount equal to or greater than € 350,000, intended for the acquisition of investment units in investment funds or venture capital funds dedicated to the capitalization of companies, which are constituted under Portuguese legislation, whose maturity, in time of investment, be at least five years and at least 60% of the value of the investments is made in commercial companies based in the national territory;
- Capital transfer in an amount equal to or greater than € 350,000, intended for the constitution of a commercial company with head office in Portugal, combined with the creation of five permanent jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial company with head office in national territory, already constituted, with the creation or maintenance of jobs, with a minimum of five permanent, and for a minimum period of three years.